Friday, March 1, 2013

social justice


So for my Skills and Techniques class the other day we were supposed to research the Warren Hill incidence that happened the other day... this is what I found on it 

Warren Hill is an African American male imprisoned in Georgia.  He was originally convicted on shooting and killing his girlfriend, and was sentenced to life imprisonment.  While in prison, he killed his cellmate by beating him with a nail-spiked board.  He was granted a stay of execution because he is developmentally disabled; however, I read one article that disagreed with that.  They said that the punishment should fit the crime not the person.  They said that since he was competent enough to murder two people that it’s okay, even just, that he be executed.  I disagree with them though.  I believe that since he was declared mentally retarded, he was not fully aware of his actions, and if he was he didn't know the true implications of what he was doing.  I believe without a reasonable doubt that he killed those two people, but I also believe that he shouldn't be put to death for his actions.  Neither do I believe that he should get away with it and be free to go.  He needs to be rehabilitated and put under state custody.  If he’s killed twice now, who’s to say he wouldn't kill again. He needs help though, not death. 

No comments:

Post a Comment